By: Mary Pat Baldauf
“It was great! No cleaning, no responsibilities and no guilt. Just rest and relaxation.” That’s how I described a recent overnight stay at a health facility following a vocal cord procedure to my friend/counselor/life coach, Nancy.
Recently, we talked about how I could replicate that without having to go to the hospital. Twenty minutes later, I’d devised “Strengthening Saturday,” one day each month dedicated to rest, renewal, rejuvenation and refreshment. (If only Saturday started with an R!)
Following are the terms of “Strengthening Saturday:”
- Designate the fourth Saturday of each month as Strengthening Saturday. (That week is usually a busy one for me each month.)
- Sleep until I wake up; maybe go back to sleep even then.
- Have no “to do” list for that day; only do the things I want to do including, but not limited to, watching Netflix; creating something; reading; and/or catching up on my writing.
- Unless there is something I WANT to do outside of the house and need to be presentable, stay in my PJs or lounging clothes all day.
- Eat foods that are low-prep and healthy. Unless I want something sinful, which I’ll totally allow during a Strengthening Saturday.
- No social media allowed. (Lumosity and Words with Friends, yes; Facebook and Twitter, no.)
- Tell Mom and Sister not to include me in any plans on a Strengthening Saturday.
- Maximize my senses. Play music I love or listen to a podcast; have some flowers or other beautiful thing in my room; light a candle; take a long hot bubble bath or freshen my bed clothes; eat wonderful food; cuddle with the cats; etc.
- Will put the guilt of not “being busy” aside, just for one day.
As I continue to grow, build and yes, even still heal a little, I think Strengthening Saturdays will be a game changer. I can’t wait for the first one!