By: Stacy Thompson
Three of my favorite things: I love sports…and I love movies…and I love lists, so what better way to celebrate all three than with my list of favorite sports movies!
- Seabiscuit – A little horse with a big jockey wins hearts and races. The book by Laura Hillenbrand was riveting, and the movie more than delivered.
- Bull Durham – Really just a good-ole rom-com with the backdrop of a minor league baseball team. The stellar cast, including Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins and Kevin Costner, deliver quotable lines galore. “Throw it at the bull.”
- Rocky – The ultimate underdog story set in an underdog town in the most brutal of sports. The original can’t be beat.
- Jerry Maguire – More about the sports agent than the sports, but a solid and entertaining story nonetheless.
- A League of Their Own – “There’s no crying in baseball.” Seriously, is there a better quote in any sports movie???
- Hoosiers – Again, a classic underdog movie with a predictable ending that still manages not to disappoint.
- Rudy – I cry each and every time Rudy sits on the bench reading his letter of acceptance to his dream school…and then cry again when his teammates have his back…and then cry again when his dad walks in the stadium…and then cry again he gets on the field.
- Chariots of Fire – Of course the song is running through your head right now (pun intended) but the movie itself is a classic.
- The Blind Side – Some of the plot may be a bit overdone, but the genuine heart of this movie will leave you feeling good. Period.
- Miracle – I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watch this move. The political climate surrounding the 1980 Olympic Games was intense enough – add to it a team of USA amateurs going up against the Goliath Soviet Union team and the tension multiplies. Even though you know the ending, hearing “Do You Believe in Miracles” is sure to make the goosebumps pop!!
What are your favorite sports movies?