By: Shannon Boatwright
How do you rise above? What does that even mean? To me it means that you be the better person in an ugly situation. You grasp hold of maturity, logic, empathy, intelligence, patience, bravery, kindness and love, as best you can in order to do the right thing. And you do this so that you can come out on top knowing that you approached the situation with a positive, thoughtful nature instead of falling prey to jumping to conclusions, attacking with negativity and getting tangled in unnecessary ugliness.
There are many organizations, schools, etc that use the slogan “rise above” in some manner. Why? Because it’s all about overcoming challenges.
Check out these definitions –
To rise above something:
- to deal well with a difficult or unpleasant situation
- to be morally good enough not to do something bad, especially something that most other people do
- to be better than other things of the same type
- to not allow oneself to be hurt or controlled by (something bad or harmful)
- to be or become better than (something)
In today’s time, boy do we ever need to rise above! Seriously, things are getting rough!
Don’t worry, I’m not going to go on any kind of political or emotional tirade. I just want to put that reminder out there, for you, for me, for everyone, let’s make the effort every day, in every situation, whether big or small or colossal, to RISE ABOVE. Let’s consciously choose to be good and create positivity in our worlds, not negativity.
So how did you rise above today?