By: Stacy Thompson
I’ve been a rescue mom for many years now, and I have brought into my family too many dogs, cats, hermit crabs, fish, gerbils, etc to count. Anyone who has ever had a pet may have multiple reasons for sharing their space with something other than a plant or a human, but know that there are many more reasons to get a pet, beyond the obvious:
- Pre-wash—No need to rinse a plate when a slobbering tongue can take care of it!
- Electric blanket—Mounds of fur much warmer and cuddlier than anything requiring a plug!
- An ear…but no mouth—Pour your heart out with no judgment and no talking back!
- Alarm clock — Best way to wake up in the morning!
- Alarm system — To secure the perimeter and warn of impending doom (real or imagined!)
- Foul weather warning—Retreat to the walk-in closet when the clouds appear!
- A reminder to take naps—We all should take naps, multiple naps…
- Validation that sometimes just walking back into a room is an event—Even if you just left two minutes ago.
- Knowledge that there is pure joy in simply running around a yard…not to reach a destination, but because it’s there.
- Reminder that even though that squirrel may never be caught, it can still be chased— or, although some goals may never be realized, they can still be chased.
- Unconditional love