By: Chaunte McCLure
I thought I’d share the top 10 statements people have made to me as a childless woman. Trust me, there are more, but I’ll stick to 10. Let me warn you, some of these will either make you LOL, say O-M-G or cause you to ask, SUP with that?
- Your babies are going to look old. You can thank my almost 80-year-old great-aunt for this one.
- When you visit your child’s school, their friends will ask, “Is that your grandma?” Now this one actually made me laugh.
- You need to have a child to complete your family – one for the Father, one for the Son and one for the Holy Spirit. I’m not sure of the theology here, but an old lady sent that message to me. Each member of the Trinity is to represent a member of my family.
- You ain’t gettin’ no younger. Well, obviously not!
- You better hurry up or your eggs are gonna be rotten. Really? Ma’am, do you have a brain? Is that even biologically possible?! I’m sorry, but that one really disturbed me.
- You need to have at least one so you’ll have someone to take care of you when you’re older. That makes sense, but there’s no guarantee there. Besides, that would not be my reason to procreate.
- If you wait too long, your children are gonna be slow. SMH! Gee, thanks. That’s very encouraging.
- I know it’s really none of my business, but do y’all want to have kids? With all due respect, you’re right; it’s not any of your business.
- Let me rub you (or touch your stomach). Yeah, that’s to supposedly give me good luck. Actually, ma’am, I feel violated.
- Your husband must be sterile. Yeah, and that’s the “G” version.
Well, I warned you. People really do say the darndest things. If you’re one of those people, perhaps after reading this you’ll keep your comments to yourself.
What are some comments people have made to you about being child-free or about waiting until later in life to conceive? How do you respond? I’d love to hear from you.
There’s more baby talk to come next month. I hope you are enjoying this blog series. In case you’ve missed the previous posts, be sure to check out There’s Something to That and When Are You Having a Baby?