By: Roshanda Pratt
I know from the title of my recent blog post you may be wondering if my brain is fried from the series of heat waves gripping South Carolina. Nope! Since it is on everyone’s mind, I thought I’d share my perspective. First, I do not like to be hot, muggy, soupy, humid or any other adjective the weather folks like to use to describe the forecast in the southeast. You would think I’d be used to it since my parents are from a warm climate. Who am I kidding? Trinidad & Tobago is located near the Equator. You can’t get any hotter than that!
This heat wave has been unrelenting and brutal, but WE Southerners are resilient right? This is not our first time at the rodeo. Remember the heat wave about two years ago or was that last year? Either way, as South Carolinians, we have been here before. This is one reason why I cannot figure out why people keep talking about it. I know it’s a hot (no pun intended) topic right now, so instead of using this space to complain – I figured I would list my top reasons why I ENJOY (insert sarcasm here) living in the south during a Heat Wave. So here it goes:
- I have an excuse to stay indoors. Actually, I am not a fan of outside for this reason: lizards, flies and anything else that is creepy and crawly. Also, my additional excuse, chocolate still melts in the heat. Matter of fact, you can include dark and white chocolate in that as well. (ha-ha)
- I have a reason to crank up the AC. If my husband wasn’t one of those who check the thermostat, I would have it zero below Antarctica. But he does, and when he allows me, I drop it looooow!
- I have a reason to eat ice-cream in moderation of course.
- Speaking of eating. I get a chance to partake in my favorite summer treat. WATERMELON. Yumo!
- I can catch up on reading, on my couch under my ceiling fan while the AC runs on blast.
- POOL Time with the Kiddies. ‘nuff said.
- Celebrations! (Family cook-out for the 4th of July, Mine, My Mom and Son’s birthday) and even though these events may involve an outside activity, I am not too far from the house or a water sprinkler.
- Craft time. When it’s too hot outdoors – bring the fun inside! Here are a few of my summer projects.
- I enjoy hearing the weather folks talk about it and try to find different ways to describe the heat. Last time I checked, HEAT is HEAT!
- Lastly, family vacations to some place cool, literally!
I know we could all find reasons to complain, but why bother? It’ll just make you, well, hotter. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those dealing with some rather dangerous conditions. Stay safe, drink plenty of water and avoid the outdoors as much as you can. So what say you, what is your favorite part of living in SC during this heat?