By: Brady Evans
So there’s this recipe for “No-Butter Chicken” that has been going around – claimed as being flavorful and deeply delicious without the use of butter! Sounds right up my alley, right?
At first glance, I decided I’d make a swap for the chicken and use chick peas since they start with the same five letters (I kid).
The recipe actually had a decent amount of oil in it, which is not all too different from butter in terms of calories (I know, I know not the same in terms of types of fat), so it wasn’t exactly fat free in the first place, though.
That fact led me to make the decision to replace the oil with butter itself since I wasn’t using any meat (hmm…oxymoronic, maybe…).
The meal was really, really good. It came together quickly, felt healthy, and reheated fabulously. In addition to making it vegetarian, I upped the veggie content by adding a couple of bell peppers – a great addition!
Butter Chick Peas (inspired by a Bal Arneson recipe seen on Apple a Day)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 TBSP chopped garlic
- 1 TBSP chopped ginger
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TBSP brown sugar (I used dark)
- 1 TBSP cumin seeds
- 1 TBSP garam masala
- 1 tsp. red chile flakes
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1.5 cups chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c. low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 c. water
- scallions, for garnish
- Put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add butter.
- When the butter heats, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the onion is golden.
- Add the tomato paste, brown sugar, cumin seeds, garam masala, red chile flakes, turmeric, and salt and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the chick peas and stir well to coat.
- Add yogurt and water and cook, stirring until the mixture is thickened.
- Serve, garnished with scallions.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4