By: Brady Evans
I used to get really stressed out about not having a ‘company ready’ home. I mean really stressed. In fact, I remember sobbing on the floor, sitting on my knees, scrubbing the moulding surrounding my entertainment center while my poor husband looked on, knowing he couldn’t say the right thing.
I hear women talking about how often their homes are ‘drop-in ready.’ Those that say it is always put together 100% I consider liars. And then rest of us aspire to be like those Stepford Wives and drive ourselves bonkers in doing so.
We need to banish this idea of a ‘company ready’ homes. Southern Living and Better Homes & Gardens portray beautiful kitchen and living rooms. The perfectionists that most women are take that scene and extrapolate it to their own lives. We think that what we see in the magazines should be what we’re living. But we need to remember – we LIVE in our homes. Those magazine spreads aren’t lived in!
A few years ago I stopped caring. I didn’t stop caring about my home – I have immense pride of home. I didn’t stop caring about my visitors – I want to provide a hospitable experience for all. I stopped caring about the ‘what ifs’ of an unexpected visit. I mean, how often did it ever happen? And if it did happen, that visitor should be ashamed of themselves if they judge my “lived-in” home.
Those who know me know that at the end of the day, you’ll soon find me playing laser tag with my car, Fahrney, than scrubbing grout in the bathroom.
You’ll sooner find me letting my horse fall asleep in my arms than doing a load of laundry.
You’ll sooner find me on my dirty floor, filled with dog hair and dirt, sharing a moment with my husband and our dogs than vacuuming said floor.
If you do find yourself in my home, don’t expect a spotless kitchen floor. One thing you can expect, however, is a delicious meal like this one:
Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas (adapted from How Sweet It Is)
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 cup steamed cauliflower, mashed
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 14oz can mind enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup hot wing sauce
- 2-3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- Mix together shredded chicken and mashed cauliflower in a large bowl.
- Fold in cottage cheese, half the cilantro, and sliced scallions.
- In a small bowl, combine the can of enchilada sauce with 1/4 cup hot wing sauce.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the mixed sauce into the bowl with the chicken. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon and spread a little of the sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Place 1/3 cup of chicken filling in each tortilla. Roll and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- When all tortillas are stuffed, pour remaining sauce over top of tortillas.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with gorgonzola cheese and remaining cilantro.
- Serve with a wedge of lime.
- Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
- Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
- Number of servings (yield): 4
For more recipes and chatter, visit my food blog www.brannyboilsover.com.